Red Pepper and Tomato Vodka Soup
A generous slug of Russian vodka turns this easy red pepper soup into a smart dinner party starter that is guaranteed to warm up your guests.
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time1 hour 15 mins
Nutrition per serving
- Energy123 Kcals
- Saturated Fat1.1g
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- About 600ml stock
- 600ml tomato juice
- 1tsp sugar
- 2tbsp Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp chopped fresh basil, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 2tbsp vodka
- 4tsp soured cream
- 1 tomato, deseeded and diced
Put the peppers, garlic, onion, stock, tomato juice, sugar and soy sauce in a pan and bring to the boil.
Lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently for 1 hour.
Liquidise the soup in batches until smooth.
Season with freshly ground black pepper and stir in the basil and vodka.
Serve immediately or reheat when needed, garnishing each serving with a teaspoonful of soured cream and a scattering of finely diced tomato and some small basil leaves.
TipMaking the soup in advance will allow its rich flavours to develop. If the peppers are very large, the finished soup may need thinning to the desired consistency with a little extra stock or water.